Jim Owles Liberal Democratic Club
Minutes, October 12, 2017, 7pm
- Candles for Clemency Update: There was discussion on actions to advocate for releasing aging people in prison and the current status of Judith Clark and Roz Smith.
- Protest Parole Board: Volunteers Discussion of doing an action the home of Tina Stanford (NYS Parole Commission Chairwoman) on November 11, 2017 to protest the Parole Board’s lack of action
- Terry W. Gipson (NYS Senate 41st District) spoke to the Board about his intention to run for Governor. He stated he has been a long time local activist in Rhinebeck and Dutchess County before being elected in 2012. He discussed several areas of disagreement with the Governor, including voting reform, strict campaign finance reform, criminal justice reform (with an emphasis on providing additional education for prisoners), and the need for a progressive bail system. He indicated he placed a high priority to elect democrats in Local and County offices, in addition to the State Senate. Proudest accomplishments – his active involvement in supporting the Dream Act and Gun Control.
He felt he could win the election since there is typically less than 700,000 people voting in Governor primaries and he could focus on getting out activists in an anti-establishment atmosphere
- Sonia Ossorio (President NYS NOW) discussed the current priorities of NYS NOW including anti Trump actions and sexual assault in the prison system. She discussed concerns about Manhattan DA’s office, including their not pursuing an investigation of Trump or not prosecuting Harvey Weinstein in sexual harassment cases. She was pleased to join with Jim Owles to picket the Laurie Sattler’s invocation. She also indicated she would work with Jim Owles in supporting Margaret Chin and would visit Judith Clark with Allen and Tony
- No-IDC NY update – Aries Dela Cruz discussed challenges to IDC members. He said they intended to raise $10,000 a month during next few months (and greater closer to the primaries) to raise a total of $1 million. He also indicated they will be phone banking by volunteers to do voter ID.
- General Election, Discussion on club helping candidate Margaret Chin’s bid for re-election to City Council and concern over Chris Marte’s willingness to accept Independence Party line.
- Primary Recap - Most club supported candidates won including Margaret Chin, Keith Powers, Carlina Rivera, Helen Rosenthal, Carlos Menchaca, Justin Brennan, Adrienne Adams, Eric Gonzalez, Tommy Torres and Deborah Rose . However, club’s endorsed candidate’s Robert Rodriquez and Helen Hynes lost their City Council bids.
- Congressional Candidates: Club President Allen Roskoff, Paul Leonard, Christian Campbell and America Campbell will interview Congressional candidates to bring endorsement recommendation back to club.
- December 5 Fundraiser – will likely be at Mark Green’s apartment, Betty Buckley and Mike C. Manning will be honored.
- Treasurer’s Report Club has $35,000 in active account. Allen thanks Barry Weinberg for his work as Treasurer.
- Web Site: Website to be updated with changes in format.
- City Council ratings – Club discussed this years ratings of City Council members. Motion approved for Dan Roskoff to take on task.
- Next Meeting November 15th
Meeting Adjourned 11pm